Have Class, Will Travel

Or is that Will travels? I'm enrolled in a travel class at my University, and this blog will serve as my daily journal for the trip.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Everything's Just Ducky


DSC00043
Originally uploaded by woden325.

It's been a couple of days since I've posted.
The Ceremony of the Keys was excellent. On paper, the idea of watching the Chief Yeoman Warder lock the gates and give the loyal salute to the Sovereign doesn't sound particularly interesting, but it's very interesting to see in person. If you've seen the changing of the guard at Arlington National Cemetery, you'll understand some of the tradition and ritual involved.
On the first, the class as a group visited the Tower of London. This is one place I never get tired of seeing. Even the Crown Jewels, which haven't changed since my first trip, still fascinate me. I enjoyed leading some of the group through the White Tower and repeating some of the history of The Tower to them.
Afterward, we journeyd to Waterloo, and then to Hampton Court Palace. This was a wonderful trip. Hampton Court was built by Thomas Cardinal Wolsey, and he gave it to King Henry VIII. The palace remains the property of the monarch, and it is possible to see a number of different eras of its history in the tour. It was remodeled by Henry, the Stuarts, and the Hanoverians in turn. Some segments of each remain. Also, the palace has a number of really great chimneys.
Also, it has a grand formal garden, with reflecting ponds and fountains that should not be missed. I certainly plan on visiting this place again.
It is now 1AM on the 3rd, so I'll sign off now. I'll have more to write tomorrow about Hampton Court. I'll also have more to say about today's (yesterdays, actually) trip to Hever Castle. That's where I snapped this picture of this pretty little lady.