Have Class, Will Travel

Or is that Will travels? I'm enrolled in a travel class at my University, and this blog will serve as my daily journal for the trip.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Busy, busy, busy.

Man, I haven't had the chance to do much with the blog. I'm busily packing up before saying goodbye to the rest of the class. They're heading home today, and Sonoko, Sharon and I are fixing to do a marathon drive up to Glasgow.

At least all of my pictures up to and including the trip to Windsor Castle yesterday are up. I don't have time to do a link, but by now you should know where to look.

"Maybe, he said foolishly, I'll have the chance to write some more tomorrow."

0755 June 8, 2006:

Yesterday, we drove down from York to the fabulous and exciting airport town of Feltham. I am currently writing this offline in my room, because the hotel is charging an egregious amount of money for the wifi access. It’s £5 for 1 hour, or £10 for a day. Tomorrow, I’ll probably spring for the day pass, because I’ll be that desperate. I’ve got a big backlog of pictures to upload, and I need to check on the rent-a-car, our hotel in Glasgow, the directions, etc., etc. Not to mention posting these trenchant observations on man’s inhumanity to tourists in the early part of the 21st century.

Our hotel is at least comfortable, but this is clearly not London’s most alluring neighborhood. Also, we have a fabulous view, with all the associated noise, of airplanes taking off from Heathrow. It has its charms, however. There’s a small stream running past the hotel that is the home to a mother swan and 5 or 6 fuzzy little cygnets. Unfortunately, I didn’t grab a picture, because the sun was setting behind them and my cameraphone really didn’t like that.

Well, I’m going to sign off now, because it’s time for breakfast before our marathon trip to Wilton House, Stonehenge, and Salisbury Cathedral. Hopefully, this evening, I’ll have the chance to revise and extend my remarks.