Have Class, Will Travel

Or is that Will travels? I'm enrolled in a travel class at my University, and this blog will serve as my daily journal for the trip.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Glasgow to Mull

And now, as I fire up the Way-back Machine, pretend that it's June 13th.

DSC00420
DSC00043
Originally uploaded by woden325.

We headed out of Glasgow yesterday (map) on our way to the Isle of Mull. It was cold, rainy, and damp as we drove past eh beautiful Loch Lomond and past Loch Awe. The drive took about 3 hours or so. We got to Oban at about 11:45, -- fifteen after the required check-in time for our reservation on the Noon ferry. There was some uncomfortable waiting while we wondered if we'd make it or have to wait another hour. Fortunately, there was still enough space for two cars: the one in front of us, and ours.
The ride over from Oban was wonderful. The weather had changed and we got sunny skies and glassy seas as we crossed. Sharon, Sonoko, Tom and I staked out seats on the upper deck at the stern of the MV Isle of Mull, and watched the wake spread out behind us. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring the camera out of the car with me, so I didn't get any pictures. The ferry ride takes about half an hour, and I enjoyed every minute of it. It's one of Colorado's real short-comings, not having the ocean handy. I never get tired of looking at the water, as you may have guessed from my pictures.
Once we arrived at Craignure on the Isle of Mull, we drove straight out to Bunessan, about 30 miles to the west along some extremely narrow roads. Most of the roads on the island are single-track, meaning that it is precisely wide enough for one vehicle, with a wider passing area every quarter-mile or so. It's my second trip to the island, and I still haven't quite figured out the etiquette. My policy was to yield the right-of-way as often as possible, and especially when coaches and the like were oncoming. I also had to pull over periodically to let the traffic behind me pass. The speed limit is something like 60MPH, but I thought I was living dangerously doing 35-40, what with the livestock all over the road, and blind hills and corners all over the place. The weather stayed fine, and apart from one near-death experience (when a big dang truck blew past a passing area and forced me to back up off the road) it was a great drive.
Along about 3 PM, we arrived at the hotel, the Argyll Arms. I had previously stayed here back in 2000, and was very happy to find that it was still as I remembered it -- clean, comfortable, and friendly. We were able to get a late lunch and spend the afternoon and evening wandering around the bustling Bunessan Metroplex. There's the hotel, a restaurant, two general stores, and a fire-station. Also a phone-box and a whole lot of sheep.
It was just the thing after London, York, and Glasgow -- peace and quiet.
Tomorrow (wink-wink) we'll head to the Isle of Iona, a short drive and ferry ride away.